Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The spirit moves

The beginning of the year is the time to look ahead and set some milestones. I finally finished the coffee table book covering my Freedom Trail adventures (Dash4Freedom) and now I wait for the initial copy for final checking. I have started to actively look for an event or goal to get me off my lazy butt.

Part of the energising came from spending an hour or so chatting about the Freedom Challenge with Alex Harris - a reknowned South African adventurer. We pored over maps and discussed the nature of the race and I felt animated for the first time in a long time. I loved re-living the adventure and remembering the routes and challenges.

And while I doubt I'll do the event again (but never say never), I realised how much I enjoyed mountain bike touring and exploring. Just talking about the various sections of the race inspired me to look at some weekend trips and with it came the jolt. I have to get fit. A casual 125km ride isn't going to happen comfortably on my current programme of no riding!

So there are some ideas brewing and I'll be summoning all the other riders who lust after open spaces, sandwiches, no time constraints and a spirit of adventure.

This brings me to The Crazy Switch. A guest post from Josh Harnegane who writes as The World's Strongest Librarian. He is an amazing guy and his post will be up next - don't miss it.

Posted via email from Go Cycling

No comments:

Post a Comment