Thursday, October 22, 2009

Go Big or Go Home

November is National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo).  What an exciting and daunting concept.

How does this relate to me and all things cycling?  Well it doesn't really but I am putting my reputation on the line and giving this a go.

November is a month dedicated to getting a draft of a novel done.  The target is 50 000 words.  You may only start writing at midnight on November 1 and it requires roughly 2000 words a day.  And it must be brand new.

Now, I just finished writing up my 3 week experience on the Freedom Challenge and that only comes to 33 255 words and it took me ages so I am hugely daunted at the prospect.  At least with my ride story, I didn't have to think up a plot and characters and events - they were all there.

I have fiddled with ideas, lurked on the NaNo forum, scribbled mind maps and was drawing a blank.  But the other day, I was at Sugo's (oh yes, the ubiquitous coffee shop), and I got an idea.  A theme, characters and personalities.  So it was a start but how to drag this idea out for 50 000 words, I don't know.  There are some strange tips out there. 

I have just downloaded NaNo for the New and Insane by Lazette Gifford and her first paragraphs reiterate that this is all about Having Fun! So fun it will be.  I am not going share my plot just yet - maybe I won't ever, but November is going to be interesting.

Posted via email from Go Cycling

No comments:

Post a Comment